Updated 12th November 2001; 8th June 2002; 24th November 2003; 9th October
2004; 9th December 2006; 19th December 2008; 5th October 2011; 27th September 2015; 3rd April 2021
An 8m wide by 3m high entrance is just the opening to a blind cave containing lots of bulls' bones. A water trickle enters from a shaft in the roof. Prehistoric flints have been found and the site is considered to be of Aziliense age, being a hunting base at the end of the Paleolithic and a stable in more recent times (Ruiz Cobo Jesús et al, 2008). This latter publication has a complete summary of the archaeology.
According to Ruiz Cobo Jesús and Smith Peter, 2003, the cave deposits were investigated in 1956.
The cave is often used as an animal shelter, as seen in August 2015.
The length was changed to 35m from 18m after taking into account the alcoves when the Survex file was constructed, April 2021.
References: anon., 1981a (logbook); Corrin J, 1983c; anon., 1992a (Easter logbook); Smith Peter and Ruiz Cobo Jesús, 1999; Ruiz Cobo Jesús and Smith Peter et al, 2001 (includes drawings of flint tools); Ruiz Cobo Jesús and Smith Peter, 2003; anon., 2004d (summer logbook); anon., 2006e (autumn logbook); Ruiz Cobo Jesús et al, 2008 (photo) (survey); anon., 2015c (summer logbook)
Entrance picture : yes
Video : August 2015
Underground picture(s): looking out of entrance looking down on Emboscados hillside
Detailed Survey : yes: from Ruiz Cobo Jesús et al, 2008
Line Survey :
On area survey :
Survex file : Reconstructed April 2021 (Reconstruction notes)